How to Design the Perfect Nursery with Snuz
Designing the nursery is an exciting part of preparing for your baby’s arrival. However, it’s not a task to be taken lightly. Planning ahead is important because a careful design can help you get the most out of your budget and prevent you from having to redecorate too soon. We’ve put together this helpful design guide in collaboration with Snuz to help you create a nursery that’s practical, aesthetically pleasing and built to last.
Snuz are an award-winning baby furniture brand with high quality products you can count on. Their products ensure your bundle of joy will have a safe and comfortable night’s sleep which means that hopefully, you will too!
Choose the Right Room
Let’s start with the basics. Your nursery should be in a quiet spot in your home where your baby can rest undisturbed. Ideally, it should be close to your bedroom because it’s much more convenient for nighttime feeds. It’s also important that the nursery has good heating and ventilation, since babies can’t control their body temperature as effectively as adults.
Start with the Essentials
It’s a good idea to sort out your essential furniture before you start shopping for matching accessories. Focus on the following:
- Bedside crib - The NHS recommends that your baby should sleep in the same room as you for the first six months. This goes for daytime naps, too, so opt for a bedside crib with a removable bassinet, such as the Snuzpod 4, for convenience and flexibility. It also features an excellent ventilation system and a gentle reflux incline option for your ultimate peace of mind.
- Cot - We recommend choosing a cot that will grow with your child. Snuz offer a range of cots which can then be converted into toddler beds, meaning they’ll last your child from birth until the age of four. With the junior bed extension, the Snuzkot could last your child until they turn 10.
- Changing table - It’s much easier to change your baby using a designated table rather than the floor or sofa. It’s also easier on your back and joints too which, trust us, makes all the difference when you’re a sleep-deprived new parent! Snuz’s Skandi changing unit features three drawers to help you stay organised. Best of all, the changing pad is removable so the unit converts into a standalone dresser once your child is potty trained.
- Bedding - Of course, your baby needs some bedding. Choose light, breathable sheets that fit your cot and of course, double check that they’re suitable for the washing machine and tumble drier.
- Mattress protector - As we all know, babies are messy. A mattress protector offers your little one comfort and protection, as well as making the mattress last longer.
- Sleeping pouch - A baby sleeping bag is practical as well as cute. Snuz’s Pouch comes with a nappy change zip so that you can change your baby more quickly, without disturbing them.
- Storage - Teeny tiny humans require a surprising amount of stuff, so extra storage is always a good idea. The SnuzPod storage pocket is perfect for keeping all of your baby’s necessities conveniently close to the crib. It also doubles as a changing pack for when you’re on the go.
As a new parent, we know that safety is at the forefront of your mind. Here are some simple but effective tips to follow when designing your nursery:
- Create a safe zone - Keep your cot away from heaters, lamps, cords, windows and any furniture that your child might be able to clamber onto.
- Cot safety standards - When buying a cot, always make sure that it adheres to British safety standard BSEN 716:2008 and doesn’t contain any toxic chemicals or materials.
- Choose the right mattress - Your mattress should carry the BS 1877-10:1994 and BS 7177 numbers. It should be also fireproof and offer firm support for your little one, as recommended by leading sleep experts.
- No more than 2cm gap between the mattress and the crib - This is to prevent your baby from getting his or her head caught. So long as you choose a compatible Snuz mattress and cot/crib, this shouldn’t be a problem.
- Minimal bedding - A child under 12 months old should not have a duvet, baby nest or pillow in their crib. A Snuz sleep pouch is much safer.
Fortunately, all of Snuz’s products adhere to the strictest safety standards, as well as guidance from childcare and sleep experts, so that you can buy with confidence.
Pictured: Snuz Room Set
We recommend opting for a neutral colour theme for a variety of reasons. Firstly, neutral colours are very soothing, which is exactly the kind of environment you want to create in your nursery.
Best of all, neutral colours are timeless. You’re much less likely to get tired of grey or magnolia than something bright and snazzy. Luckily, Snuz’s furniture comes in a selection of attractive neutral colours that go with everything.
It pays to plan for the future. Your little one won’t stay little forever. Products that grow with your child will save time, money and stress in years to come. For example, a Snuzkot will last your baby from birth until the age of ten with a bed extension. Similarly, Snuz’s mattresses also offer a long lifespan. The Twist Natural mattress can be adjusted to offer additional support as your child grows from baby to toddler, whilst the Surface Mattress will see your child through until they’re seven years old.
We don’t recommend that you decorate your nursery walls with popular kids’ tv characters, since these can quickly become outdated.
You can check out Snuz’s full range of nursery products here. If you have any questions or queries, Beautiful Bambino are here to help you, so don’t hesitate to contact us. We also offer a personal shopping service for the ultimate stress-free experience. Sign up here and our friendly team will be in touch with more details.